Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Boot Tips... August 22nd is coming

Several men have contacted me, wanting to purchase some fetish boots (inexpensively) before our BOOT NIGHT event in a week and a half.

My advice has been to check out the two major local resources (and one mail-order) that I would use, in their position:

Bargain Center
3015 N Park Way
San Diego, CA 92104
Between the Eagle and 30th.  One block south of 30th and University.
(619) 295-1181

Bargain Center has been around a long time. They sell Army-Navy Surplus and the like, which covers a wide, wide array of choices for fetishwear, such as uniforms (not usually the fetish kind, unless you are hot for postal delivery fashion), belts, jackets, gloves and other stuff. They are cheaper than buying the same items elsewhere, but not utterly cheap, since the stuff is brand-new, just kind of dusty. The prices are still pretty nice.

The staff there might seem odd or stand-offish, but they are just watching for shoplifters. As soon as you initiate a conversation, asking for help in shopping, they light right up, and they are very helpful without being annoying or hard-sell. I always ask for their guidance.

I have bought maybe seven pairs of boots from them in the last thirty years, including some CHP motorcycle boots (this was a rare find).  I bought my very favorite dancing-boots from them - Combat boots that were ultra-light, and smooth on the bottom for good spinning moves.  I sure wish I still had them, but one of my leatherboys kept them during the breakup, and is probably jacking off with them hanging from his balls, at this very moment.  :->


Tim, Bill and the staff
Pleasures & Treasures
Explore your inner adult!
2228 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104
619.822.4280

I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, or a serious flack, but I only mention these folks because I believe in them. They are good men. Having run many affinity-groups in my life, I know what it would take to run Red Hankies San Diego (RHSD) for seventeen years. I honor good men who haven proven their worth to the community, and I want to encourage them so that we continue to have excellent resources. If history has shown us anything, if a fetish resource goes away in San Diego, it generally doesn't get replaced. There used to be SIX leather bars in San Diego, and twenty-six leather/kink/fetish organizations. I can name many custom leathercrafters (to create chaps, vests and the like) who are no longer around.  Enough said.

Bill and Tim operate an excellent source of used boots that they sell on consignment at the store, which is right next to the former Mustang Spa bathhouse near Pecs. When Perry died years ago, and Ringold Alley went out of business, Bill and Tim spent their savings to create a community-member-oriented fetish shop to replace it.  You won't find racks of frilly underthings, or kitten whips.  Just the real, hardcore toys, slings, fetishwear and lube that men like us are craving. If you're unsure about what gear goes with what accessories, ASK them. These guys have decades of experience, and are glad to help.


Stompers Boots
In the South of Folsom district in San Francisco
323 - 10th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103-3804
1 888-BOOTMAN (1 888-266-8626)

These guys are the Gold Standard for gay-male fetish boots, worldwide. They have special deals to save money, including consignment items. Every year before Folsom, I used to host San Diego newbies on walking tours of the South of Market district, and I always brought them to Stompers, along with Butler Uniform, Bear Magazine headquarters, Mister S Leather and several other, similar shops.

Every time you go to Dore Alley or Folsom Street Fair, you should always make a point to visit Stompers during their annual barbecues out back.  Spend a good half-hour cruising around their Web site. You'll be educated and astonished. Even if you're dead broke, it makes for awfully nice daydreaming...

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE: On Aug 10, 2010, at 8:35 PM, b m wrote:

May not be the cheapest, but always authentic—BIG BLACK BOOTS and it's local. Ron will definitely set you up.

That's GREAT - I had the impression that he was out of business for some reason.  I bought my knee-high Wesco Engineers from him, many years ago.  Time for me to do an in-depth interview with him.  I sure do appreciate local businesses.

Good tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment