Friday, September 16, 2011

Social Column

-=-=-=-=-=- A FOLSOM STREET FAIR PRIMER 

A great article from Leatherati: 

A Folsom Street Fair Primer

-=-=-=-=-=- A PIECE OF LEATHER HISTORY COMES BACK TO SAN DIEGO

Years ago, San Diego featured multiple leathermen's bars. One was Wolf's, which was on the corner of 30th and Upas. Here is the logo that they used.  They had legendary Back Room Parties, due to the unique way that the bar was built. You were only allowed into the Back Room if you were in fetish gear or were willing to take your shirt off. It was a great bar, and it was no big deal to have 400 men come through the bar on a typical Friday night, back in the days before the Internet killed off most of the leather bars in the world. This place was CROWDED, hot, sweaty, cruisy and intense.

As more and more men started finding their playmates online, the bar suffered, and it became a tax write-off for the owner toward the end, since there was only one busy night per month. They were losing money like crazy!  Once the wealthy, absent landlord died (he lived in Palm Springs and owned many bars across Southern California), Wolfs shut down.  The old-school decorations inside the bar (posters, gear, artwork and toys) vanished overnight, and eventually Wolf's dimmed in most people's memory.

Years later, a home in Palm Springs went into foreclosure. California Leather Sir 2010 Todd Bishop is a real estate agent (and a serious pumper - He hosts the annual Monster Manhood Weekend). He tells the next part of the story:

The story isnt very juicy, it's sort of sad how the sign came into our possession. The recession took a great toll on many once sturdy American Households. I, Todd Bishop, a realtor for Keller Williqams Reallty , Rancho Mirage, California see this all the time.  Many of our families including leather families suddenly found their homes upside down, worthless , with huge mortgages  and illnesses forced them to short sale their homes or be forced into foreclosure. A Beloved Leatherman in our community from San Diego went back to take care of his Mother In Palm Springs who had Cancer. Her illness forced her to short sale her Home. He'd been storing a lot of leather history Items there in her home.
 
Our Leather buddy  packed up his belongings along with his mothers and they moved back east in a 30 foot Uhaul with the dogs and Mom in the cab, and all their belongings in the truck, once the house sold.  Many things didn't all fit on the truck. There was a  classic Eagle Poster from probably 20 years ago along with this historic leaded glass sign from the San Diego Leather Association which I remember hanging in Wolf's Bar on the back wall for at least 25 years that I rescued. The San Diego National Leather Association was part of the National Leather Association which is a Pansexual Leather association which has chapters all over. I was told our San Diego chapter has now become Club X. 

The Leather sign is a great piece of Leather history. It's very important to Support Your local Leather Bars. We don't want them to become History too, it's better to make history in them. Plan an event or Support the events at  Your Local Leather Bars. In the Picture is Mike Rush, California Leather Boy 2011, Todd Bishop, California Leather Sir 2011 (center) and Nicolas- (owner of the SD Eagle.)

I was invited to attend Uniform Night at the Eagle this last Saturday night, since Todd wanted me to be there for his presentation of an old sign that used to be part of San Diego's leather history. I didn't think much about it, but I wanted to keep my word, so I showed up, not knowing what to expect. To my gleeful surprise, the sign was superb, and lit up for the first time in decades, because Todd re-did the lighting inside for the presentation. When Todd asked Nicholas if he wanted to keep the sign in the bar or maybe donate it to some other group, all of the men in the bar yelled out "KEEP IT!"

So, a nice, classy part of our local history has made it back home again, where it belongs.  Check it out at an upcoming event.

-=-=-=-=- LOCAL SOURCE FOR WOODEN PADDLES

From Papa Tony:

The boys and I thoroughly enjoyed the Dore Alley Street fair back in late July, but somehow the three of us scouring the hotel-room missed my favorite Cocobolo-wood paddle (in the center of this photo), so it got left behind.  In my search to find a replacement, I was referred to Chris, who has provided me with an excellent, sturdy Bocote-wood eighteen-inch paddle. Here is what it looks like, tucked inside my tall boot.  I always like to keep a paddle with me at all times, in case I'm ever stuck up  s h i t  creek! :->

From: Chris

Making paddles started out as a way for me to give gifts to friends when I was unemployed. It was a tough time in my life, and I was down in the dumps rather often. I found myself relaxing and able to let my mind wander when I started working with wood. Each piece “talks” to me. I don’t design paddles and then go out and buy wood. I pick what I feel are unique pieces, and let the wood dictate the way it is going to be cut. Wood has energy about it, even paddles that look similar feel different in your hands.

I have had many people tell me that I need to have my own website up and start a real business, but to me that makes it no longer a hobby…but a job. I have been making paddles for about eleven years now, and have recently added wood canes to my inventory. I like to stress to people who have a fear of paddles that they don’t have to hurt, but can be very sensual as well. Fortunately, there are some very exotic woods available that make many wood paddles a piece of art as well: cocobolo, snake wood, bocote, tulip wood, and lignum vitae.  People buy them because they are beautifully variegated and nice to look at, have wonderful markings or because of the hardness and different impacts. Never are two exactly the same as nature designs each wood differently. I like to showcase the beauty of the natural wood, so I never stain my pieces, but instead clear coat them.

I vend at several events in San Diego, including Pride, and am willing to meet privately to show what I currently have in stock. I’ve been involved in the BDSM community for over 20 years and never cease to be amazed at the level of spirituality and love that has always present when one is open to it.

I take a lot of pride in my work, and get a lot of joy knowing that those who are using my paddles are enjoying them as much as I like making them!
My contact info:  619-933-3426 or Wildernesslover@gmail.com - also on Fetlife "wildernesslover"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment